Creating Marketing Personas
- Never create a persona for the sake of it. You should always determine why you create a persona. For example if you need a persona to create blog content you will use different indicators from a marketing persona that is created to analyze customer satisfaction. So always determine your needs and then start creating marketing personas.
- Do not overdo it. Personas should make your life easier. Do not create many personas as if you are trying to populate your SimCity game. Take the most overlapping key features and try to merge personas. Don’t go for extremely specific models.
- Rely on data. Data is your biggest ally when it comes to personas. Use every data tool you have and consult with other departments. Usually sales departments collect the best data to create marketing personas.
How To Create A Marketing Persona?
- As mentioned above, the first thing is to decide on your needs. Each persona is created in a unique way and must be personalized.
- Collecting your data is the second important step. You can talk to different departments and utilize their data.
- Statistical data from the market is valuable. You can consult a research firm to conduct a market research but you should check their data collecting methodology.
- What if you are in a start-up and do not have sufficient data on customers? In this situation you can still create a persona but you have to be careful with your goals. What do you expect to learn from your persona? What information is essential for you? Answering these questions beforehand is essential. There is always a danger factor that you might end up with a persona with much information but gives you little idea how to use that info. In order to create a content strategy you may have to start without insider customer data but you would need to analyze your competitors better.
- Imagining a buyer’s journey and targeting appropriate funnels can be enough to decide your content strategy. However, it is always better to have some data.
- You can use online tools like Hubspot’s Make My Persona to create a template. However, online tools may not match your demands. So, you should be prepared to create your own templates which are suited best for your demands.
Imagining A Buyer’s Journey
Why Topic Clusters Are Important?
- When built properly, topic clusters help crawlers to understand the relation between your content pages and build a semantic relation. That way when a cluster page increases in performance, the other pages’ performance also increases.
- Topic clusters help you to become an authority on a specific topic, thus increasing your chances of rankings in organic search.
- They make your site better structured so people can easily navigate between relevant content.
Creating Content Pieces
- Start with creating your buyer persona and imagine what kind of problems or questions they might have.
- Brainstorming. Think about what people would be interested in about your product or service. You should plan your content in accordance with the buyer’s journey. Starting from the top of the funnel to guiding after purchase.
- Map out what kind of questions your buyer persona is asking and group them into broad topic bubbles. When creating your content, answering user intent is your top priority.
- You should refine the keyword ideas in your mind to determine your primary and secondary keywords. You can make use of keyword research tools (Semrush, Ahrefs etc.). Also take data from the sales department. Determine your pillar and cluster content based on your keyword research.
- Check Google’s People Also Asked questions for ideas. These questions usually offer some nice ideas to put in an article.
- Even though your keyword research is on point, it is always a good idea to make a competitor analysis to see their strategy and what keywords they are ranking for. Choose 4 or 5 companies within the same sector and check their keywords (again the keyword research tools can help you here). By doing this you can find and fill in the gaps in your content so you can make comprehensive content clusters.
- Make a comprehensive list of keywords and create a matrix. Put keywords, search volume and keyword difficulty on the list. This would make your job a lot easier when refining the keywords.
- When choosing for cluster content, go for the low-hanging fruit. Choose long tail keywords with less difficulty. Try to answer questions with your content.
Pillar and Cluster Articles
- Comprehensive and exhaustive pages that focus on a single core topic. These pages are generally long since they are centers for cluster pages and should include every cluster topic broadly.
- These pages provide exhaustive information and aim to answer users’ questions at every stage.
- Contains links to cluster pages (usually as H2 or H3). So people can easily navigate between relevant pages.
- These pages aim to rank in long tail keywords since users’ search queries are more specific and intent-driven.
- Cluster pages contain relevant topics to pillar pages.
- All cluster pages must be linked to the pillar page.
Analyze Your Articles’ Success
Whether the topic clusters you’ve just created or already existing blog posts, you should check their performance. Keep track of your blog posts by conducting a content audit. Analyze the data from Google Analytics and Google Search Console and create a data sheet.This sheet will help you understand performance of your pages individually. You can also analyze internal links and GA behavior flow charts to see the correlation between the pages and users flow on your website. We prefer to visualize your data at Google DataStudio so that we can interpret the data and identify the next steps.
How Can Topic Clusters Help Growth?
Topic Clusters are like flowers in a garden that attract honeybees. When bees enjoy the nectar from one flower they’ll visit other flowers too and the garden will become a gathering hub for the bees. Topic clusters create this hub for users, so they can go from one article to another and with good content your pages will have a better chance of attracting more people. At BK Solutions we run our content marketing strategies to create these beautiful hubs for you. Reach out and let’s unlock the content marketing success for your brand.